Highlights, lowlights, frosted tips, root touchups, all over color: it's almost impossible to find a head of hair that hasn't been treated with some kind of dye these days. That isn't necessarily a bad thing, except conventional hair dyes contain numerous chemicals like alkylphenyl ethoxylates (APEs), which are hormone disruptors, acetates, ammonia, hydrogen peroxide, and paraphenylenediamine (PPD), which, with prolonged use, is linked to non-Hodgkin's lymphoma and multiple melanomas. These chemicals not only negatively impact one's health, they also contaminate waterways, water supplies, and soil when they're washed down the drain. Hydrogen peroxide and ammonia are particularly toxic to fish and aquatic life.
Now that you know the truth about your hair dye, are you going to stop coloring your hair? We didn't think so. That's why we've put together a list of some natural alternatives to conventional, toxic hair dyes that are not only better for you, but better for the Earth too.
NATURAL HAIR COLORING PRODUCTS
- Herbatint: Herbatint is a vegan, biodegradable, ammonia- and cruelty-free herbal hair color gel that contains only very low concentrations of PPD and peroxide. It's semipermanent line is completely free of PPDs. The Herbatint formula uses as few pharmaceutical chemical ingredients as possible by utilizing vegetal extracts from plants and herbs like rosemary, cinchona, and walnut husk.
- EcoColors: EcoColors is free of gluten, sulfites, EDTA, parabens, resorcinol, ethanolamine, and animal cruelty. EcoColors unfortunately uses small amounts of ammonia and peroxide, but in a soy and flax base so the toxins aren't absorbed. Its hair dyes contain high quality, natural ingredients like flax oil, vitamin E, vitamin C, nettles, rosemary, flower essence, and grapefruit seed extract. EcoColors also has a professional line of hair dyes so it makes it easier for color cravers to choose natural options.
- Naturcolor: Naturcolor is an ammonia- and cruelty-free, plant-based option that's low in PPD and contains therapeutic herbs like rosemary and lavender. The best part about Naturcolor is that it doesn't come with that nasty, toxic scent that chemically-based dyes emit. And after you show Naturcolor's ingredient list to your physician, you can possibly even use the product on your hair while you're pregnant!
- Aubrey Organics: Aubrey Organics makes one of the only permanent hair dyes that's totally natural and PPD-free, though it unfortunately only comes in two shades of brown. Aubrey Organics contains henna and indigo in a botanical-based hair dye that's chemical- and cruelty-free and is safe for its users as well as the environment.
- Rainbow Henna: Rainbow Henna is free of additives, chemicals, and pesticides, and comes in a wide range of long-lasting, mixable shades. Rainbow Henna also carries natural shampoo and conditioners too!