Synthetic dyes, preservatives, sweeteners, antibacterial and antimicrobial agents, parabens – all of these ingredients are entering your system at least twice a day: every time you brush your teeth. The antibacterial agent triclosan is an endocrine disruptor and an ecological pollutant that enters waterways and streams via your bathroom sink. This means triclosan has the power not only to cause health problems in humans, but in aquatic life as well. Parabens, a preservative ChasingGreen has mentioned in numerous articles, also affect the endocrine system in humans and act like estrogen in both humans and fish. Good oral hygiene is important, but that doesn't mean it has to cause problems for the environment! Try out one or all of these natural toothpaste alternatives to be kind to your teeth, gums, AND the earth.
NATURAL TOOTHPASTE BRANDS
- Weleda Calendula Toothpaste |$4.50-8. Instead of artificial fragrances, bleaches, or fluoride, this toothpaste is made with minerals and pure organic and natural plant extracts. It contains natural chalk (it prevents plaque), myrrh and organic calendula flower extracts, and organic fennel oil.
- Desert Essence Natural Tea Tree Oil Toothpaste | $5-9. This unique and refreshing toothpaste is fluoride-free and contains no artificial preservatives, sweeteners, coloring, or harsh abrasives. It contains pure (anti-septic) essential tea tree oil, seaweed extract, and baking soda. Choose from four all-natural, invigorating flavors: mint, ginger, fennel, and wintergreen. The packages even carry eco tips about how to save water while brushing your teeth.
- Tom's of Maine Clean & Gentle Toothpaste | 2/$8-10. Free of sodium lauryl suflate ( SLS ), fluoride, artificial sweeteners, preservatives, and dyes, this toothpaste has natural low foam from glycyrrhizin (derived from licorice root) and tastes great because of the natural spearmint flavor oils. Tom's of Maine , which is also cruelty-free certified, has additional toothpaste varieties such as gels, whitening, fluoride-containing, and children's flavors.
- TheraNeem Neem Toothpaste | $7. TheraNeem toothpaste contains Certified Organic extracts of the Neem leaf and its bark to promote ultimate, natural oral care. Known in India as the Toothbrush Tree, Neem twigs are often used to clean teeth and support healthy gums. TheraNeem toothpaste also contains ingredients like grapeseed, clove bud, cardamom seed oil, star anise fruit, cinnamon bark or peppermint oil – depending on the flavor variety, licorice root, and Vitamin C. In addition, this toothpaste is free of sulfates, gluten, fluoride, parabens, and artificial colors and flavors.
- Jason All Natural Oral Care | $3.50-8.50. Jason toothpastes are available in a number of varieties, each with varying ingredient lists. As a whole, they contain complimentary combinations of CoQ10, natural perilla seed extract, tea tree oil, aloe vera, clove, cinnamon, Ester-C, peppermint, orange, blue-green algae, and sea salts and minerals.