Leftover candy wrappers, cellophane flower wrappings, cardboard chocolate boxes: Valentine's Day gifts might make your sweetheart feel cared for and appreciated, but how do you think all that landfill waste and consumption makes the environment feel? Whether you consider yourself eco-friendly or not, Valentine's Day is a great opportunity to give some love to the planet. Below, you'll find some green gift ideas to help turn your Valentine's Day into an early Earth Day!
GREEN VALENTINES JEWELRY OPTIONS
- Handmade jewelry from WorldofGood.eBay.com!: Through sponsorship by GoodPrint ™, your purchase is guaranteed to be made from over 50 percent post-consumer waste and without the use of toxic materials, and is seller verified by Green America and the Green Business Bureau.
- Hannah Naomi Handmade Jewelry: Hannah Naomi designs jewelry by mixing organic elements and industrial materials such as recycled wire and stones to create beautiful, one-of-a-kind, “wearable art.” Her Thick and Thick Circle Sterling Earrings are handmade in America with sterling silver wire that's at once simple and chic, as well as inexpensive at only $22.
- India-based Mata Traders believes in making jewelry with “Good Fashion, Good Karma.” Their jewelry is produced by a fair trade certified organization that provides employment for economically disadvantaged artisans and craftsmen. The goal of the group is to ensure that the entire jewelry making process is non-exploitive, so they enforce strict health and safety standards and combat child labor. Their Turquoise Dangle Necklace is made from brass and bone materials and only costs $20!
FAIR TRADE CHOCLATE
- Theo Chocolate uses only pure ingredients that are grown sustainably and are sourced locally whenever possible. As the first and only organic and Fair Trade chocolate factory in the country, it's important that Theo Chocolate honors and respect its employees and suppliers, so they partner with their growers to ensure they earn a living wage and have access to education for their families. Their Limited Edition Valentine's Day Ginger Rose & Cherry Pink Peppercorn Bars are infused with rich chocolate and essential rose and ginger oils to satisfy your lover's sweet tooth for only $8.
- Kallari USDA Organic chocolate is grown and harvested by indigenous Kiichwa farmers in the Ecuadorian Amazon. The profits from the organic chocolate sales return to the cooperative where they support sustainable development, health, and education programs, all the while preserving one of the Earth's most important climate-protective rain forest eco systems. Visit their website and choose from single bars, 6-packs, or 12-bar cases of 70, 75, and 75 percent cacao bars.
ORGANIC WINE AND CHAMPAGNE
- Bonterra Organic Vineyards utilize government regulated, independently certified processes to certify that no artificial fertilizers or conventional pesticides are used in their winegrowing. Bonterra also utilize natural, holistic, Biodynamic ™ practices designed to promote and enhance biodiversity and biological activity in the soil. Choose from an extensive shipping directory that includes reds, whites, rosés, and Biodynamics ™.
- Korbel Organic Champagne comes from Californian, sustainably farmed vineyards without the use of synthetic pesticides, herbicides, or insecticides. Korbel is certified as an organic processor by the California Certified Organic Farms (CCOF) and is in compliance with the USDA's organic certification program. Crisp, fresh, medium dry, and organic – this eco-friendly bubbly will only set you back $15.99 online.
FAIR TRADE GAILILEE OLIVE OIL SOAP SET
- Sindyanna, a women-led non-profit organization in the Arab population of northern Israel and in the Palestinian Occupied Territories, produces award-winning fair trade olive oil soaps offered in natural honey, lemon, Dead Sea mud, and milk types. Purchasing this four-bar gift set for $25 at WorldofGood.eBay.com supports an organization that educates about social justice issues, exceeds the Fair Wage Guide minimum standards, supports health care, clean water, and sanitation, and creates employment for women.
- Urban Fox is an eco-friendly lingerie company in the Midwest that designs and creates undies and undie sets using environmentally sustainable materials and methods. Their products are designed, dyed, and sewn by hand from machine-processed bamboo and organic cotton blends and feature hand-crafted details like tagua nut buttons and natural rubber elastic.
GREEN LUBRICANTS FOR YOUR VALENTINE
- Organic personal lubricants, aphrodisiac love oils, or edible body candy from Good Clean Love™: There's no pretending Valentine's Day doesn't see more “naughty” item sales than any other holiday. But if you've done any research into the ingredients and chemicals used in the most popular sex products, you probably wish there were eco-friendly alternatives available. Good Clean Love offers love products made with clean and healthy ingredients that are free of petrochemicals and parabens.
- Good Clean Love Organic Personal Lubricants are made with 100 percent natural and organic ingredients; without the use of parabens, glycerin, silicon, or petrochemicals; and they're 100 percent vegan, edible and cruelty-free.
- Good Clean Love's Love Oils are made, according to their website, with therapeutic grade essential oil formulas that respond to each user's individual pheromones and body chemistry to create their own completely unique scent. Each Love Oil is made with 100 percent natural, vegan, and cruelty-free ingredients, and without the use of petrochemicals so they don't irritate sensitive tissues. The Caribbean Rose Love Oil, for example, contains ingredients like apricot kernel oil, organic jojoba oil, and a vitamin E antioxidant formula.
- Good Clean Love's Body Candy creates “chemistry without chemicals” by transforming the taste of your lover's skin with 100 percent natural, vegan, and cruelty-free ingredients like avocado butter, candelila wax, shea butter, and stevia extract, and with essential oils like coconut and jojoba.