Disposable baby wipes are an invaluable product for mothers the world over; there's simply no denying that. Unfortunately, there's also no denying their devastating impact on the environment. Not only do disposable wipes create landfill waste, they contain dangerous chemicals that can leach into the environment during production. And it turns out they're not all that great for your baby's bum either! In fact, conventional disposable baby wipes are composed of chemical-based materials like polyethylene and polypropylene; they're treated with a solution of petroleum-based mineral oil; and they often contain synthetic fragrances and volatile organic compounds (VOCs), which can trigger skin allergies and asthma; they also contain parabens, which are known endocrine disrupters.
ECO-FRIENDLY BABY WIPE ALTERNATIVES
Because you want to take care of your baby and the earth, here are some eco-friendly alternatives to disposable baby wipes for you to choose from.
- Washcloths: When you're at home and have the time, a damp cloth works just as well as a disposable wipe. Using a washcloth instead of a wipe keeps waste out of landfills, uses fewer resources, keeps chemicals off your baby's skin and out of the environment, and saves you money.
- Hankettes : Hankettes Organic Cotton Baby Wipes are made with organic cotton flannel and are colored with natural, fiber-reactive dyes. These reusable baby wipes are pure and delicate, and perfect for your baby's sensitive skin. Hankettes also offers a 100 percent Natural Wet Wipe Solution that's free of harsh perfumes and petrochemicals. Some of the ingredients include lavender, witch hazel, calendula and chamomile essential oils, pure liquid coconut oil soap, and rosemary extract.
- Harper Hippo Natural Cheeky Bum Wash: This wet wipe solution is free of parabens, synthetic fragrances, and dyes. It only contains natural and plant-based ingredients, its bottle is HDPE recyclable and BPA-free, and its packaging uses sustainable materials. All you have to do is wet a reusable cloth wipe with warm water, spray the Cheeky Bum Wash onto your baby's skin, and wipe it off.
- Kissaluv Premium Organic Cloth Wipes: These double-sided, 100 percent certified organic cotton velour and 100 percent cotton flannel wipes can be used for cleaning any mess your baby makes, and can then be washed and reused over and over again. What's even better about Kissaluv Wipes is that they're hand-swen by mothers and grandmothers in the USA!
- Elements Baby Wipes: These 100 percent natural, compostable, chlorine-, chemical-, and fragrance-free wipes are made from 100 percent natural, renewable resources. The Ingeo fibers are also free of chemical additives and surface treatments, and production requires 68 percent fewer fossil fuel resources than traditional baby wipes made with oil-based materials. The wipes are also larger than most baby wipes and you can get a pack of 80 for just $5.95 at Drugstore.com!
- gwipes from gDiapers: These fragrance- and alcohol-free, all-natural, hypoallergenic wipes contain aloe vera and vitamin E for gentle moisturizing and cleansing. The best part about gWipes is that they are biodegradable and can be composted when wet because they're made of cellulose pulp and regenerated cellulose, so they break down much faster than regular baby wipes.
- Nature Babycare Wipes: Also fragrance-, chlorine-, alcohol-, and perfume-free, these baby wipes are made of natural and renewable materials and are 100 percent compostable. Their packaging is also based on natural and renewable materials. They feel like cloth and have the same absorbency as traditional baby wipes, but without the negative bum print on the environment.